By Kenneth Hitchner
Generally speaking, life in “transition” is no picnic. But today was an exception.
I would like to thank everyone who contributed to today’s annual PSGCNJ picnic at Colonial Park in Somerset. About a month ago, when DOL announced that it would withdraw its support, there were questions among our own membership about whether we should have another picnic. Do we have the will to pull it off? Would anyone come?
And this evening, I am thinking about how good it feels to be part of something bigger than myself. Whether its about hosting an event or landing a job, we can do more together than apart.
But I don’t want to give you the impression that today was all about hot dogs, cheeseburgers, chicken, salads, brownies, pies and networking. There was also some serious business that took place before the grill was lit.
Earlier this morning, the Co-Chairs elected its first five-member, Executive Council that will lead the organization with direction from its members — that means active members AND alumni.
The five elected officials are: Rick Verbanas, Executive Director; Dirk Graham, Vice Director; Simon Stark, Council member (Training); Bill Dearborn, Council member (Membership, Technology, Administration) and Kenneth Hitchner, Council member (Opportunity Center, Programs & Networking, Marketing). The five officials will serve a three-month term with the ability to serve an additional three-month term.
In addition, five task forces were created to address immediate needs:
- Infrastructure: Luann Ladley, Karen Walker, Charlotte Briscoe and Dirk Graham will look how/where we can store our data and how we can establish a phone line. (Also, the Membership/Technology/Administration Committee will meet tomorrow at noon at the DOL in the PSG room to discuss the same issue; if you possess such expertise, you are welcome to attend!)
- Equipment: John Buday and Luann Ladley will look at what equipment we need to continue our Monday morning meetings. If you can help, please reach out to one of them ASAP.
- Organizational Structure: Frances Chaves, David Pastore and Simon Stark will look at what structure (LLC, non-profit, club) we should embrace. If you have experience setting up a business, please contact one of these task force members ASAP.
- By-Laws: Stephen Goetzke, Bernie Lewis and Simon Stark will look at rewriting our by-laws. If you can help, please contact one of these members ASAP.
- Sponsorship: Frances Chavez and David Pastore will research the topic of corporate sponsorship. If you have expertise in this area, please reach out to one of these task force members ASAP.
Remember, the spirit of PSGCNJ will only survive with your determination. Feel free to send me your thoughts as our efforts to re-establish our organization take shape.
Help the PSGCNJ community help YOU!
PSGCNJ Council member