By Sam Velu
A Job Seeker’s daily routine: Looking at job boards, social media, email, mail, smart phone, and then attending all the NETWORKING events—all of which feel like a big black hole.
A Recruiter or HR person’s routine: Looks at the resumes from sources like job boards, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter—and Networking—and can’t find candidates.
Recommendation: Find ways to use productivity tools to find a position. But, before that, make sure your LinkedIn profile is complete and you as a jobseeker have a personality which can be showcased through social media, groups, etc.
In fact, managing just a single social network page can be a full-time job, not to mention managing three or four on multiple platforms—which is what many jobseekers try to do and don’t do well.
- Know exactly which position you are looking for.
- Make sure your LinkedIn profile is complete and become active on the discussion boards and groups in your skill sets. Use the “Specialties” box to fill in keywords; update your LinkedIn “Status” regularly; make changes to your profile after every job change or promotion: include your web site and blog links.
Check out these interesting articles: http://www.recruitingtrends.com/why-linkedin-is-changing-everything and http://lifeinc.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/10/12644457-want-a-job-tweet-in-a-recruiters-face
- Have a Facebook account to show your personal side. Do not put anything on the internet that you don’t want anybody to know—this is your branding and where you market yourself.
- Branding: Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus: every post, profile, picture, or tweet you put online is a reflection of you. What do you want to communicate?
- Twitter: Tweet something which is interesting; you can re-tweet; follow your skills.
- Utilizing Job Boards: Use aggregators like www.indeed.com ; www.simplyhired.com ; www.linkup.com.
- More Employers are using Social Media to make their next hire: “like” the pages of the company you want to work for; keep up with what they are doing.
Here is an excellent article http://moneyland.time.com/2012/07/09/how-recruiters-use-social-networks-to-make-hiring-decisions-now/
- Use RSS feeds from the sites to manage your job search.
Sam Velu has more than 15 years of agency recruiting experience, guiding and directing candidates with career goals and identifying career choices. He is a certified AIRS recruiter and an expert in advanced career search techniques. Sam has always been fascinated with technology and how it can improve productivity to find candidates and help the clients fill positions. He volunteers at different employment networking groups, local schools, and the communities of Somerset and neighboring towns. Sam can be reached for career counseling at: email@example.com or 732-742-2849. Visit his website: http://www.globalcareeragents.com.