By Rick Verbanas, Executive Director, PSGCNJ
Over the last ten weeks, much has happened for your Professional Service Group of Central New Jersey (PSGCNJ). Only a few of the dozen or so PSGs remain active since the May 25 removal of the Department of Labor’s sponsorship of the PSG program. I am pleased to say, PSGCNJ is alive and well.
What have we done since hosting our last DoL sponsored meeting on May 21, 2012?
- We found a new location for the Monday General Meetings at Temple Beth-El in Hillsborough.
- We established a new phone number (732-445-573) and email address (email@example.com).
- We have continued to book speakers and offer networking at weekly meetings.
- In an effort to streamline decisions during this critical reorganizational phase, we created a new Executive Council that includes: one representative from each committee, an Executive Director, and Vice Director.
- We created five task forces to help with Infrastructure, Equipment, Legal Entity, By-Laws, and Sponsorship. As a result,
- We voted to become a Non-Profit 501(c)4 (Social Welfare Organization) and are applying for approval;
- We have re-written and approved a first draft of By-Laws which will be submitted to General Membership over the following weeks;
- We have received donations of a laptop, projector, microphone with speaker, and camera tripod (we still need a video camera);
- We have gathered and mined our membership data; temporary storage has been secured.
- We reorganized our committees to share manpower.
- We restructured the Opportunity Center, including a new member profile system, and new methods of contacting employers.
- We continued to offer Advance Resume Reviews and Mock Interviews, and have had a week of Job Search Training for new members.
- We launched a new blog, “Transition to Success,” and transferred over 150 newsletter articles for easy searchable access. We went from 20 views in May to 1,700+ page views in July!
- We publish three to five new articles every Monday.
- We created collateral and instructional documents for members to assist in marketing PSGCNJ.
- We contacted more than 15 news sources to promote our General Membership meetings and the benefits of PSGCNJ.
- We continued to videotape our guest speakers and upload them to the video library for your reference.
- We created committee job titles and descriptions, including a list of open positions to make it easier for members to volunteer.
- Oh, yeah… and we had a picnic in June, providing active and landed members with some fun!
As you see, we have been busy. There is probably much more I am forgetting, or may not even be aware of. Please allow me to express my sincerest gratitude to all those who have helped us achieve so much, in such a short time. Without your combined efforts, we would have closed like most of the other PSGs. Give yourselves a huge kudos!
If I were looking for a job (and I am), I would be using these impressive results for my CAR (Challenge, Action, Result) examples on my resume. If I wasn’t involved in the above, I would be searching the committees’ current openings and finding a way to volunteer at least three hours each and every week so I can get the CARs and show what I have been doing while in transition. To me, that is one of the major advantages that separate us from just being another unemployed networking club.
We’ve accomplished a lot and there is more to do. Yes, we are alive, and we should all take pride in that. I believe we can thrive, though. Thank you to all who are doing their part (and some well beyond that) to help see that happen.